Matar paneer is a vegetarian north Indian dish consisting of peas and paneer in a tomato based puree. It is often served with rice and an Indian type of bread (naan, paratha, poori, or roti depending on region). Today we prepare Matar Paneer without thick gravy or we can say Raseeli Matar Paneer because sometimes when we eat restaurant curries, they have thick gravies which is difficult to digest but Raseeli home made Matar Paneer will helps you easily digest your food, so let’s start preparing matar paneer:-
- Peas (Matar):- 500 gms
- Cottage Cheese (Paneer):- 200 gms
- Tomatoes:- 3 (medium)
- Oil:- 2 tablespoon
- Salt:- 1.5 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder:- 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder:- 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida:- 1 pinch
- Black Mustard Seeds:- 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds:- 1/2 teaspoon
- Clarified Butter to fry paneer cubes
- Water:- 3 cup
- Wash, peel and then chop tomatoes. Shell peas and cut paneer in 1 inch cubes.
- Now, take a pan and add 2 tablespoon ghee in it. Let it heat and then place 5-6 paneer cubes at a time in it to shallow fry them.
- Take them out and likewise, fry other paneer cubes.
- Now, take a pan and add oil in it. Let it heat and when the oil is sufficiently hot then add black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida in it. When the mustard seeds crackle then add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 tsp salt in it then saute it for a minute and then cook them for 3-4 min. on medium flame.
- Now, add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder in it and then cook it for 3-4 min. on low flame till oil starts to float over spices.
- After that, add peas and remaining salt in it. Saute it for a minute and then cover it with lid and let it cook on low flame for 7-8 min. Check it at certain interval of time.
- You will see peas are cooked completely. Now, add water in it and let it boil on high flame.
- At last, add paneer cubes in it and let the curry boil for 2-3 min.
- Our Matar Paneer is ready to serve. Serve it with poori/roti/naan/bread etc and relish the dish.