Tandoori Roti is made of both wheat flour and maida or just wheat flour. It is made of plain dough like roti but the method of making tandoori roti is different. You have only seen tandoori roti mostly in marriage ceremonies and restaurants but today I will tell you how to make tandoori rotis at home. So lets start preparing them:-
- Dough:- 250 gms
- Clarified Butter/Ghee for greasing
- Water:- 1 cup
- Take a dough and draw out a piece big as lemon from the dough and make it round and then press it slightly to make it slightly flat.
- After that, spread some ghee on that flat surface and then fold it again and again and then make it round again like a ball. Our dough ball (loi) is ready.
- Now, dust that ball of dough with flour by lightly pressing it in flour and then flip the side and press it again in flour.
- Now put it on rolling board and roll it round upto 2.5 inch diameter and then again dust it from both sides and then roll it again with rolling pin upto 5 inch dia.Try to roll roties from edges not from centre.
- Our rolled roti is ready.
- Now, sprinkle and then spread some water over one side of rolled roti and then place it on medium hot tava (concave iron griddle), so that wet surface is at bottom and dry surface is at top on tava and toast it for 1 min. You will see bubbles will appear on top of the roti.
- Now, invert tava and toast roti (that is sticked to the tava) directly on flame from all directions.
- After that, remove the roti from tava and then grease roti with ghee/butter.
- Our Tandoori Roti is ready to serve. Serve it hot with dal/curries/chutneys etc. and enjoy.
- Pick and then place rolled roti carefully after sprinkling water over it, so that, it will not break.
- Sprinkling water over rolled is very important step, it helps roti to stick on tava and to form bubble over roti.
- Work on medium flame while making tandoori rotis.