Chow mein is a Chinese Cuisine which means fried noodles. The dish is mainly popular in India, United States and UK. Although there are some variations in each countries’ chow mein but the main ingredient is noodles. Some might say it ‘lo mein’ while some says it ‘chow mein’ but the difference in both is only that that noodles in one is boiled and then cooked with vegetables while noodles in other is boiled and then deep fried so that they become crispy and then served with chop suey over it. Today, we prepare chowmein that is boiled and then cooked with vegetables and have an exotic taste. So lets start preparing it:-
- Veg. Noodles (Wheat Flour or Refined Flour Noodles):- 200 gms.
- Cabbage (Patta Gobhi):- 1 (large)
- Green Capsicum (Shimla Mirch):- 2 (medium)
- Soya Sauce:- 1.5-2 teaspoon
- Vinegar:- 1.5-2 teaspoon
- Maggi Hot & Sweet Sauce or Green Chilli Sauce+ Tomato Sauce:- 2.5-3 tablespoon
- Salt:- 1.5 teaspoon (for frying noodles) + 1 teaspoon (for boiling noodles)
- Black Pepper:- 3/4 teaspoon
- Oil:- 4 tablespoon
- Wash cabbage and capsicum. Shred cabbage and julienne cut capsicum.
- Take a deep pan or wok and pour water upto 3/4th of it. Let the water boil and then add noodles, 1 tsp salt and oil in it to boil.
- Let it boil for 20-25 min. also stir it at certain intervals of time so that noodles don’t get stick to pan.
- After that strain it with colander (hole chalni) and then pour some cold and normal water over noodles so that they cools down and then put that colander over deep pan so that remaining water also drains out.
- In a meanwhile, take a wok and pour oil in it. Let it heat and when the oil is hot enough then add shredded cabbage and capsicum in it and saute for 1 min. then add 1/2 tsp salt in it and saute for 3-4 min on low-medium flame.
- After that add boiled noodles, soya sauce, vinegar, hot & sweet sauce, 1 tsp salt and black pepper in it and mix all ingredients well and stir it for 4-5 min. on medium-high flame. Turn off the gas.
- Our Veg. Noodles are ready to serve. Serve them hot and relish the dish. ☺
- Always add plenty amount of water in a pan to boil noodles so that noodles easily get immersed in water and swell as much as they can.
- If you want that your noodles remain long while cooking and they don’t get break then stir noodles with two sticks as shown in slideshow.