Spring Rolls are filled or rolled appetizer found in Asian Cuisine. Spring rolls can be prepared with different kind of fillings inside a thinly wrapped cylindrical pastry but today we prepare vegetable filled spring rolls. Spring rolls are originated from China and they are consumed during the spring season, hence the name spring rolls. They can be eaten as snack with tea or sauce and now a days, they are a trending food in Indian weddings also. They are so crispy and crunchy with a savour taste. So lets start preparing them:-
- Refined Flour (Maida):- 2.5 cup
- Salt:- 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee:- 1.5 tablespoon
- Lukewarm Water:- 3/4 cup
- Cabbage(Patta Gobhi):- 350 gms
- Green Capsicum (Shimla Mirch):- 1
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese):- 100 gms
- Salt:- 1.5 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder:- 1.25 teaspoon
- Soya Sauce:- 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Black Mustard Seeds:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida:- 1 pinch
- Oil:- 2.5 tablespoon
- Oil for frying spring rolls
1 Cup contains 140 ml. of water
Use 140 ml cup for every cup measurements.
- Take a deep plate and add refined flour, salt and ghee in it. Mix them well.
- Now, add lukewarm water little by little to knead a soft dough. Covered dough and keep it aside for 15 min. then knead it again to make it soft and smooth.
- Our dough is ready to make wrappers.
- Now, draw a piece big as lemon off from dough and make a dough ball and then dust it with dry flour and then roll it thin as much as possible with rolling pin upto 8-10 cm dia.
- Now, keep that rolled dough (poori) aside and likewise, rolled thinly 1 new dough ball of same size and then grease its upper surface with ghee as shown in image.
- Now, put previously rolled dough over greased rolled dough (poori) then press it slightly and then rolled it thin again by dusting it with some flour.
- Now, take a tawa or skillet and let it heat a little (warm) on a low flame then place rolled dough on it. As the colour of its upper surface is changing, flip the rolled dough and roast that side slightly for 20 sec. then remove it from tawa.
- Our two wrappers are ready. Now, separate them. Likewise, prepare all wrappers.
- Wash then shred cabbage and capsicum. Cut paneer in small pieces of 1 cm.
- Now, take a pan and pour oil in it. Let it heat. When the oil is sufficiently hot then add black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida in it. You will see mustard seeds will pop and then add shredded cabbage and capsicum in it. Turn flame low-medium.
- Saute it for a min. and then add salt, red chilli powder and coriander powder in it. Saute again for 2 min. then add paneer cubes and soya sauce in it and saute for 2 min.
- Cover the lid and cook for 3-4 min. Open the lid and saute for 2 min. on high flame. Turn off the gas.
- Our stuffing is ready to fill.
- Thick gluey paste of maida:- Take a bowl and add 1 tbsp maida and water in it and mix it to make a paste like consistency.
For Spring Rolls:-
- Take a wrapper and spread stuffing at centre leaving the edges of wrapper.
- Now, fold wrapper in a way as shown in a slideshow. and then with maida paste, glued the last edge left after folding wrapper as shown.
- Likewise, prepare all spring rolls. Now its time to fry them.
- Take a pan and pour oil in it. Let it heat and when it is hot enough then add spring rolls in it and fry them by flipping and tossing them till they becomes golden brown in colour.
- Take them out with skimmer.
- Our Veg. Spring Rolls are ready to serve. Serve them with hot tea, coffee, tomato sauce or green chutney etc. and enjoy the snack.