Malpua is a pancake served as a dessert, sweet or a snack. It is a very popular dish of Odisha and is also served to Lord Jagannath of Puri in his Sakala Dhupa (morning food served to the lord). Malpuas are very delicious sweet and everyone loves them. Malpua fried in desi ghee are so soft and that they melt in the mouth. My friend suggest me to share malpuas recipe because she is a big fan of them. So I decided to share them with all of you this lovely and sweet recipe. Lets start preparing it:-
- Wheat Flour:- 4 cup
- Sugar:- 1.25 cup
- Milk:- 1/2 cup
- Water:- around 4 cup (560 ml.)
- Ghee for frying malpuas
1 Cup contains 140 ml. of water
Use 140 ml cup for every cup measurements.
- Take a bowl and add wheat flour and sugar in it. Mix them well.
- Now add milk and water little by little to make a batter. Beat that batter well with spoon for 5 min.
- Keep that batter aside for 15 min. so that sugar will dissolve.
- Now, take a flat and heavy bottomed pan (tai or flat wok) to fry malpuas and pour ghee in it. Let it heat.
- When the ghee is hot then pour spoonful of the batter rapidly in one continuous stream in it on a high flame.
- After 1-2 min. flip malpua then fry them for 1-2 min. Take it out and squeeze it to drain ghee from them. You can make 3-4 malpuas at a time in a flat wok. Take them out one by one and put them on spatula and then press them with skimmer to drain ghee from them as shown in image. Care should be taken while you are draining ghee from them.
- Our Malpuas are ready to serve. Serve them hot with kheer, mango pickle or potato-tomato curry and enjoy this luscious recipe.
- You can beat malpua batter with electric hand mixer that we use in whipping cream.
- Thickness of malpuas depend on consistency of batter. Thin malpuas tastes more delicious than thick ones. Thick malpuas have too much ghee and very heavy for diets. Here, I use quatity of water to make thin malpuas but if you like thick malpuas then add only 3.5 cups of water instead of 4 cups.
- Work on high flame.
- Thin malpuas fry very fast so time to flip malpuas given above are for thin malpuas. Malpuas have light skin colour so don’t fry them too much.
- Use 2 tablespoon measurement spoon to pour batter in hot ghee.