Dal is a pulse curry preparing by boiling different kinds of pulse and then tempered (Chounk) it with tomato, onion, garlic and red chilli powder. Dals are frequently eaten with flatbreads such as rotis or with rice or with Choorma–Bati. Dals are very healthy because they are high in protein, also it is easy to digest dal and today we prepare Arhar Dal Fry. So lets start preparing it:-
- Split Pigeon Pea (Arhar ki Dal):- 1.5 cup
- Tomato:- 1 (large)
- Salt:- 1.25 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder:- 3/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder:- 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder:- 1 teaspoon
- Garam Masala:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida:- 1 pinch
- Black Mustard Seeds (Rai):- 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Clarified Butter (Ghee):- 3 tablespooon
- Water:- 5.5 cup (770 ml)
- Soak arhar dal for 15 min.
- Take a Cooker and pour 4 cup water in it. Let it boil then add soaked arhar dal, 1 tsp salt and turmeric powder in it.
- Take 1 whistle of cooker on high flame and then lower the flame and cook dal for 7-8 min then turn off the gas. Open the lid of cooker when all pressure is escape from cooker.
- Now, wash tomatoes and chop them.
- Take a pan and pour ghee in it. Let it heat. When the ghee is sufficiently hot add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida in it and then turn flame low.
- Add chopped tomatoes and saute for 1 min. then add 1/4 teaspoon salt in it. Saute for 3 min. then add red chilli powder, coriander powder and garam masala in it and saute till oil float over spices then add 1.5 cup water in it. Let it boil.
- After that, pour that gravy in cooked dal.
- Our Dal is ready to serve. Serve it with Roti, Bati, Choorma, Rice, Bread etc.
- If you don’t want to add garam masala in your dal then roast 1/2 big cardamom, 1 clove, 1/2 javitri and then make them in powder form by mortar pestle. Add that spices powder instead of garam masala in dal.
- You can add chopped onions and garlic while tempering if you like.
- Add water in gravy according to your requirement. If you like thin dal then add more 2 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt in it.
- Serve dal by tempering it again by red chilli powder and bay leaf only. Second tempering doesn’t require for daily serving. It is only required when you are serving dal for guests.
- You can also mix dal by buttermilk churner if you like.