Shahi Paneer is one of the special curry of India. Weddings, Festivals and other functions are incomplete without Shahi Paneer. Shahi is the term for Royal and as the name suggests this recipe is a Shahi Recipe of India. 😀 In this recipe paneer cubes are dunked in rich and thick gravy made up of cashews, foxnuts (makhane) and tomatoes. Also this recipe is slightly sweeter and have exotic taste. I love this recipe and whenever I go to restaurants it is always the no. 1 in my order list. Lets start prepare Shahi Recipe:-
- Paneer (Cottage Cheese):- 200 gms
- Tomato:- 2 (large)
- Fox nut (Makhane):- 1 cup
- Cashew (Kaju):- 10-15
- Raisin (Kishmish):- 25-30
- Green Chilli:- 2
- Salt:- 1.25 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder:- 3/4 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder:- 1.5 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida:- 1 pinch
- Black Mustard Seeds:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds:- 1/4 teaspoon
- Ghee:- 1 tablespoon (to roast cashews & foxnuts) + 3 tablespoon (to fry gravy)
- Water:- 4 cup (560 ml)
- Take a fry pan and pour ghee in it. Let it warm then add fox nuts and cashews in it.
- Roast them till they become golden brown in colour and an aroma comes from them as shown in image. After that let them cool slightly.
- In a meanwhile, wash tomatoes and cut them and paneer in large pieces.
- Now, take a blender jar and put cutted tomatoes, roasted cashews and fox nuts, chopped green chillies and raisins. Grind all that ingredients by blender and make a fine paste of them.
- Take that paste out in a bowl from the jar. Now, take a wok and pour ghee in it. Let it heat. When the ghee is sufficiently hot add black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafoetida in it. You will see mustard seeds will pop then add dry fruits and tomato paste in it and saute for 2 min. then turn flame low.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and saute for 3 min. then add turmeric powder, coriander powder and red chilli powder in it and saute till ghee comes over spices as shown in image.
- After that, add water and mix it with gravy well. Turn flame high and let it boil. Saute it for 3-4 min. then add paneer cubes in it and again saute for 2-3 min. Turn off the gas.
- Our Shahi Paneer is ready to serve. Serve it warm or hot with roti/rice/naan/poori etc.
- Don’t add cashews and foxnuts in hot ghee otherwise they will burn. Add them in slightly warm ghee and roast them on low flame.
- Add water according to your need. If you want thin gravy then add more water.
- This recipe absorbs water because of its ingredients that’s why we add 4 cup of water here. Gravy may look thin at first after turning off gas but after sometime it absorbs water and become little thick. So, add water according to your need.