Gulgula pua is a famous recipe of North India. It is a mouth watering and a very easy recipe. Its ingredients are very common and they can be found very easily in every cities. It can be prepared in two ways:- (1) By Sugar and (2) By Jaggery. Today I share Sugar Pua which tastes much better than jaggery pua if we compare them. Gulagula puas can be served with the meals of festivals, birthdays etc. I too prepared them yesterday on Rakshabandhan Festival and our meal with them turns out so so delicious. So lets start preparing:-
- Wheat Flour:- 2.5 cup
- Sugar:- 5/8 to 3/4 cup
- Water:- little less than 2 cup
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) for frying
- Take a big bowl then add wheat flour and sugar in it. Mix them well.
- Now, add water little by little in it so that no lumps will remain and make a paste like consistency to make batter. Beat that batter very well with your hands or by electric hand mixer for 7-10 min.
- Keep that mixture for 15 to 30 min. so that sugar will dissolve completely.
- After that, take a pan and pour ghee in it. Let it heat. In a meanwhile, again beat the batter for 1-2 min with your hands or spoon.
- Now, take small amount of batter in your hands or spoon and drop it into hot ghee. Likewise drop little amount of batter again & again for other puas too in the hot ghee. You can fry 10-15 puas at a time in a pan.
- Fry them by tossing and fliping them at certain intervals of time. Fry them till they become golden brown in colour. Now, take them out with the help of skimmer or strainer.
- Our Gulgula Pua is ready to serve. Serve them hot with any kind of meals or as a dessert.
- Make sure that whenever you drop batter in a ghee to make 10-12 puas at a time, ghee should be too hot and you have to drop batter fast otherwise your puas will not swell or puff or they stick to each other or they will sunk in ghee. But if you make only few puas at a time then only hot ghee is sufficient not too hot otherwise they will burn.
- Beat batter very well like cake batter. Beating batter properly is very necessary to make puas. It helps them swell and makes them soft.